Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Tripwire

Last night we had our first venture as a corporation into wormhole space.  It certainly helped to get teamspeak up and running, as there is only so much information you can convey and you can only type so fast in chat channels.

Initially, this started as a single corporation member derping around and probing.  He mentioned that he had jumped into a wormhole, but he did not understand that it was EOL (end of life).  The whole literally closed right behind him.  Derp.

With TS up and running, I asked him to link his system in chat.  He started to type the name of the system so that he could highlight and right-click to choose system name.  I told him to stop.  Go to the upper left corner of your monitor with mouse, click and drag the system name to the chat channel.  OMG!!!  He felt a little foolish.  I then told him that it took me nearly 3 years to learn that nifty trick.

I finished jumping into the low sec system he was in, and we warped to the hole he had probed down.  Prior to jumping in, I opened up tripwire on my in-game browser.  I then asked him to create an account there as well.  I briefly explained what the system was, and how we would use it.

Tripwire is a mapping program which is used primarily for wormholes, chains and sites.  There are other programs out there, but I have found that this program works best for me.  There are features in the program to follow me and automatically update the current system with the application.  It also will setup the opposite side of holes when you jump through.  Finally, for corporations, it automatically shares data as long as you have setup an admin account with a CEO or Director API.  The corporation member thought that this was a very helpful tool.  I agreed.  Tripwire can be located here.

While I probed the remaining 4 sites (all wormholes) in the first hole, he proceeded to jump into the first hole and continue probing.  After I finished probing, there was an exit to low sec, so I took that.  Found 1 relic and 1 high sec exit.  In the high sec system there was 1 relic which took me longer than usual to probe down.

We had a 3rd corp member join us, so I asked him to burn down to us and we would run the relic sites.  Both sites blew and had maybe 3-4 million worth of loot.

I called it a night, and the others continued exploring.

All-in-all a very positive night, teaching tricks in the game and learning to use new tools which will make an explorers life easier and more efficient.

No comments:

Post a Comment